Goodies on youtube - Helen Queen of Nautch Girls (1973)

I sometimes wonder how we bloggers would survive without youtube. Take me, for example. I had a hectic week and then a super hectic weekend watching James Garner, Doris Day, Fred MacMurray, et al, over at TCM, leaving me with no time to write up a review! So, I decided to go fishing in the youtube seas for some interesting videos to talk about and guess what I found - a 1973 documentary on Bollywood's beloved twinkletoes Helen. The film was directed and narrated by Anthony Korner for Merchant-Ivory Productions and can also be found in the DVD extra features of Bombay Talkies. The documentary tells us a little something about Helen from her difficult beginnings to her climb as Bollywood's most graceful and prolific dancer. And here it is for your viewing pleasure.




I could identify some of the movies the clips were taken from - Prince (1969), Caravan (1971), Gumnaam (1965), Inteqam (1969) and Howrah Bridge (1958). What other movies am I missing?
And here's another video of Helen dancing and voicing sentiments that I am certain at least some of my readers will sympathise with! The movie is Mohabbat Isko Kehte Hain from 1965, starring Shashi Kapoor and Nanda.
Dont you think her Kathak here is more graceful than Vyjayantimala's in the Prince clip of the documentary?

Comments